Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Do the Dew!

This past weekend my mother, aunt, and I went back down to their hometown of Mobile, Alabama for a family birthday party.  I grew up going to Mobile to visit my grandparents who lived there and of course going to Mardi Gras every year where it was born.  No, Mardi Gras did not start in New Orleans where everyone associates the bead throwing, and yes, I like to tell that to as many people as possible.  See, you learn something new everyday! Another hidden secret about this old, southern city that I must share with you is the establishment called The Dew Drop Inn.




From this picture I'm sure you're thinking, "Hark, Oh foodie one! What is this B.C. (before Christ) Inn you speak of?!"  Well, not only is this not an ancient motel with dancing men in tights (tight tights!), but it is home of the most famous hot dog in Mobile, Alabama!  The restaurant was opened in 1924 by a man named George Widney and the dogs have been hot ever since.  What is even more unique about this place is that all their wieners are a bright red color.  I'm not really sure of the reasoning behind this wiener glow, but it just makes the whole experience even more special!  I mean how many times does one get to eat a red wiener?!



What is great about this kind of old establishment is that you can tell nothing has really changed over the years.  Even the homemade chili recipe that they have made in-house since the day they opened in 1924 is still the same.  I even asked our server about how it was made and she quickly told me it was a house secret and no one would ever know. Not even FrugalfoodieJG!! The place is small where you can order at the counter to-go or you can seat yourself competing for one of the coveted booths.  Also the menu has only slightly expanded to serve hamburgers and HUGE onion rings, but I don't know who orders a burger when the place is famous for their hot dogs.  To each their own I guess....but I will still judge you.

The original Dew Drop Inn hot dog, which is of course what we ordered, consists of homemade chili, sauerkraut, mustard, ketchup, and a pickle slice.  Like I have said in my previous post, I am not a fan of sauerkraut usually, but after my last 2 experiences with it, I am beginning to think otherwise.  This whole combination of the red weeny, chili, and kraut was amazing!  The reason I mentioned before I asked about the chili recipe is because it was not like your typical watery, soupy kind that makes the bun all mushy that you find on most chili dogs.  The meat was finely ground and while it wasn't runny, it was still flavorful and not too dry.  Just perfect for this hot dog.  When I was younger and was a much more picky eater, I never got this combo and just stuck to the ketchup for the dressing, but I have to say I was missin out!  Also, I am a sucker for some french fries.  My favorite are ones that are slightly crunchy on the outside but mushy on the inside, like crinkle cut or steak fries and low and behold does this mighty little Inn bring me some big freaking steak fries! They were enormous and I couldn't lather them in ketchup and take them down quick enough!






The Dew Drop Inn's hot dogs are so well renown it was the main food act at the birthday party Saturday night!  As the birthday honoree was a born and bred Mobilian, it was only fitting to have the dogs brought in special.   As we knew these would be a hot commodity at the party, we took it upon ourselves to visit the restaurant in person before the event to insure we got ourselves an original dog and of course so I could blog about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment