Monday, October 3, 2011

Food Trucks

If you have been following my blog/are friends with me, then you know how much I love the food trucks of Atl.  While my work usually hinders me from being able to venture to the food trucks for lunch in midtown and at the Stoveworks, I finally was able to find time to go to the truck stop in Virgina Highlands.  A couple months ago the trucks started gathering every Wednesdays in the parking lot right next to the CVS and across from the American Roadhouse on North Highland, and last Wednesday a few friends and I met up in said parking lot to feed our faces.



We started off at Yumbii (the old faithful) because they really are the first food truck I knew of in Atl before the fad exploded in this city.  I am such a fan that I tweeted them almost every day for a few weeks or so to try and get them to drive waaaaay OTP to John's Creek where I work, so I could get some yummy tacos, but unfortunately my witty, charming tweets was not enough to haul ass out to the JC.  So after Yumbii's brutal game of playing hard-to-get, I finally conceded and came to them and got me a pork taco. And boy was it delicious.  I honestly don't remember what all was on the taco because I was soo hungry and as you can see above the line was insanely long, so by the time I ordered, was complimented on my ring (smile), and rushed to get my taco when I heard my name called I devoured my food just slow enough to savor the tastes.  The marinade on the pork was so sweet but also spicy and I added some extra sriracha to kick it up a notch.  It was a simple pork taco but with such deep flavors that made me want 5 more tacos, however, I had other trucks to go to and only so much room in my stomach, so I powered on!


The next truck we tried was new to the lot and called Ibiza Bites.  From what I could tell by the menu and obviously the name, this place had a Spanish influence.


My eyes immediately went straight to the fried green tomatoes on the menu, but after we stood in the second long line of the night and we were 2 people away from ordering, the dreaded "Sold Out" sign was laid over the FGT, and I about cried!  So I pulled myself together and decided to order the Ibiza Signature Bite which was basically some beef brisket over some yummy, creamy stone ground cheddar grits.



I have to say the dish was much more than a "bite," which was good since I paid a whopping $7 for it, but it wasn't the best brisket ever.  Everything was cooked perfectly, but I think it could have used a little more spice and the grits could have been a little more cheesy.  I like my cheese grits super cheesy and creamy like one of my favorite restaurants in Athens, The Last Resort, which has some of the best grits I've had and these just did not cut it.  But next time I would REALLY like the try the FGT.  Let's make that happen people!



So of course the next stop was dessert and I really wanted a cupcake, but that food truck was all sold out too!! Not a good night for me, but again I sucked it up and headed over to Honeysuckle to get some gelato.  I got a scoop of the Dock of the Bay which was salted caramel and a scoop of the Chock Full which was roasted hazelnut gelato.  I liked both, but you just can't compare to the salted caramel from Morelli's.  There is simply nothing else like it.  Period.  But I still enjoyed the gelato and finally had to stop eating because I was so full.


I hope to have another food truck night out soon and next time I will have to get there early to avoid the crazy lines and to get the food that I want!

2 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog because of the mention from Melissa Libby and Associates ("The Dish" newsletter). I've really enjoyed your last few posts and look forward to following you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoy it! Stay tuned for a post on my bday dinner at Ecco!!

    ReplyDelete