Saturday, December 10, 2011

Eclipse de Luna

I assume if you have lived in Atlanta for a while you have been to Eclipse de Luna, and, therefore, you are asking yourself, "Why is Frugalfoodie writing about a place that has been around for forever and that is not particularly what you would call a 'foodie' spot. "  Well my friend, Eclipse just happens to be a fine good staple in the good ole Atl.  My friends and I have been going to this Spanish tapas restaurant for years now and it is one of my good friend's favorite restaurants in Atl, and since she has moved away to the Nation's capital to become a famous basketball star, I always go to Eclipse with her when she visits home.

My friends and I have eaten at this establishment so many times we know exactly what we want to order without even looking at a menu.  One thing I have to say is this past time they were out of the $6/glass Malbec, and I was quite disappointed.  I expect a Spanish restaurant to keep their Spanish wines in stock,  but I sucked it up and just ordered the $6 Pinot instead.

Back to the food....our order consisted of the potatoes, tomatoes and mozzarella, calamari, shrimp, mussels, ribs, and a deviation from the usual, fried bananas.  Not sure of the official Eclipse names on the menu, but they knew what we were talking about.  We got that Eclipse lingo.


We usually get 2 plates of these delicious fried potatoes because I myself could probably eat an entire plate, but what is quite essential to this dish is the sauce that accompanies the taters.  You must dip and then eat and then you will say "mmmmmmm."


I love the tomato dish because the maters are always so think and juicy and then the mozzarella in between each slice is the perfect proportion.  The cheese doesn't overwhelm the tomatoes and vice versa.  Then the fresh basil and the balsamic vinegar top the whole thing off.  So good, which you can see because someone already started to cut them before I had taken a picture! Not cool when eating with Frugalfoodie!



Now my friend who I mentioned earlier LOVES her some shrimp and we all love these as well.  The sauce is buttery, garlicky, and spicy!  You have to sweep the shrimp in that yummy sauce and then just put the whole thing in your mouth (less the tail).  I actually forgot how spicy they were, but it just makes it so much better!


Said friend was not a huge fan of mussels, but I love them and as did another person at the table, therefore, these clam cousins were ordered.  Not really much to say about mussels.  They are drenched in a delicious buttery sauce that you want to drink down but would be looked down upon so you just dip some bread politely.


The calamari pic came out a little blurry, but that is not to say it is an underwhelming dish.  This is one of my favorite dishes at Eclipse, which is probably why the pic is blurry as I am most likely trying to stuff my face and picture take at the same time.  That is the problem with tapas places.  Food is coming every which way and there's so much excitement going on and so much to look at that I forget that I must blog with these pictures!  I digress.  I love the fried calamari because it is nice and crispy without being overly fried and you can still taste the fish.  Also this dish comes atop a sweet tomato sauce that you dip the calamari in. It is soooo gooood!!

 
Because we are mature adults, we allowed a dish we had never tried to be ordered, the fried bananas, which were actually quite tasty!  Don't know if I would keep them in our rotation, but it was a nice little sweet surprise.

Last but not least, we also had their ribs, which unfortunately I did not get a picture of because I guess we ate them too quickly.  They are so tender and marinated in a balsamic vinaigrette sauce that is so fingerlickin good!

This was a great Eclipse de Luna venture as they all are, and it was great to see my famous basketball star girl.  Can't wait until she comes home for Christmas and we can go again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment