Saturday, December 31, 2011

Last Post of the Year!

So I wasn't intending on this being the last post of the year, but my lazy bones took over and I didn't eat out as much as I had thought I would due to too much holiday spending, but after all is said and done I thought Top Flr would be a great way to tip my virtual hat off to the year!

I have been to Top Flr once previously and fell in love with their tuna tartar flat bread, so I knew I HAD to order that appetizer as well as their infamous mac and cheese because for some crazy reason we didn't order it last time.  So I met my friend on a rainy night at this lovely establishment right next to Merry Macs on Ponce.  We arrived a little earlier than usual because my friend was coming from work in midtown, but usually if you stay a little later the place can get hoppin, with their delicious drinks and good music, but I don't think to the extent of their sister establishment, Sound Table, which I have yet to go to because every time my friends and I try, there is some cover that no one wants to pay for.  Maybe one day it will happen.  So back to the rainy night.  We spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out what kind of wine to get because I am the most indecisive person besides my friend sitting across the table from me who is THE most indecisive person, so put us together and you get...nothing.  No decisions.   So I just lied because we finally decided not to get a bottle of wine until they told me they were out of the freaking Tempranillo!! Deja freaking vu.  So then we decided to get a half bottle of wine.  Whatever.  Let me get to the happy part of the meal. 


Finally our appetizers arrived!!  We chose the pork skewers just because we couldn't help ourselves and they sounded so good.  Oh and also I forgot to mention we had a $60 Living Social coupon, so we went a little cray.  I always find skewers hard to eat.  Food always seems to end up being shot across the room because I'm trying to get those suckers off the damn sticks.  I wish someone would come up with a way to make them slide off easily but until then I will just eat as much as I can get off the skewer.  I had a couple lost souls but nothing extreme, so I was happy, and the pork was covered in a delicious Asian spicy sauce that was also kind of sweet.  They were pretty tender, but that sauce was really good.  


Now this was what I had been dreaming about the whole day knowing I was going to this restaurant.  The tuna flat bread.  It was tuna tartar atop a very thin crispy flat bread with avocado, Thai miso pesto, and lime aioli.  So freaking good!!!  The flat bread is sooo thin that all you can really taste is the yummy spicy tuna and the aioli but it still gives it texture with the crispiness.  It all goes so well together and is so delectable.  I could eat two of those by myself, but I will move on. 

  
I had a hard time deciding on my main course, but I eventually chose the sea bass which came over a cauliflower puree and a sweet raisin sauce.  The fish was pretty good.  Honestly, it wasn't that memorable as I'm writing this a week later and I can't remember how it tasted, but I remember it being good enough to eat a whole fillet, but not enough to take the other home, plus I have a thing about reheating fish.  Just doesn't seem very appetizing to me.  I did really like the puree though.  It was very subtle and light and went well with the fish.


My friend had the grilled chipotle chicken which came with kim chi and a sweet soy reduction.  I thought it was a nice, very tender piece of chicken with a nice Asian sauce, but.....it was a piece of chicken.  Nothing too exciting.  I don't eat chicken too often for dinner just because I think it can get kind of boring (unless its Chickfila, duh), but I give them props for how juicy and tender it was.


Last but certainly not least, we had a side of the sharp cheddar, smoked Gouda, and spicy panko crusted mac and cheese.  Do I need to say anymore?  Well, I will.  It was so creamy with a little spice to it which I loved.    I mean who can't love Gouda.  Who can't love saying the word goouuudaaa.  Simply divine.  What you should know about their sides though is that they are meant to be shared.  They come a la carte, but are definitely worth the additional cash. Considering how full we were, we probably could have shared the mac and cheese with another person, but we didn't so we just ate it instead.  

I honestly think the best parts about Top Flr are their appetizers and sides (I had the kale at my previous visit and it was delicious), so maybe next time I have a coupon, I will make a meal of apps and sides.  You live and you learn.  

I must give a disclaimer for the next couple of months.  For all my 5 readers, I must let you know in the upcoming months I will be most dedicated to my job as an accountant and therefore will be hooked to my work computer making wonders in excel and will most likely not have much time to blog.  I know you are probably thinking, "Well, it's not like you blog frequently anyway."  Well, you can shut it.  But I will try my hardest to eat and write, but until next time...holla!

1 comment:

  1. Julie have you not been eating???
    I was unpacking a few things on the weekend and found that post-it note list of restaurants to try from you... turns out I managed to tick quite a few off :)

    ReplyDelete