Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Angry Chef

As you have probably noticed, I am a little obsessed with Twitter and one of the people I follow is Ron Eyester or The Angry Chef.  He owns 2 restaurants in the Virginia Highland area, Rosebud and The Family Dog, both of which I love.  The Angry Chef is known for his not-so-nice yet hilarious complaints about his customers and their crazy requests like asking for eggs whites only in their eggs benedict.  I mean if you are tryin to be healthy why you order eggs benedict is beyond me!  Just order a freaking caesar salad and be done with it!  Anyway (people like that annoy me), some people find his remarks offensive because he is legit making fun of the people eating in his restaurants and essentially paying his bills; however, I believe that those rigid customers are most likely not on Twitter and don't know enough to follow Eyester.  What they don't know won't hurt them, and his comments make me laugh, so more power to ya!




Now you may be thinking, who are you to defend Ron and his antics, and I have to admit the only restaurant job I have had was being a hostess at Spondivits Seafood Bar and Grill in College Park.  This was back before a lady died due to their seafood and they went bankrupt (too soon?) when things were hoppin with a 2 hour wait 3 days a week and Ludacris and T.I. were pulling in every so often.  




I also worked through high school and college at retail businesses that required working with customers all day.  Needless to say, I have had my fair share of people being rude and demanding to me while I talk crap about them once they leave, so I can totally relate to Eyester's comments.  He is only saying what every other chef, waiter, bartender, and hostess are probably thinking in their heads.  


Fried Mozzarella at The Family Dog



When I eat a meal at a restaurant, I think of the plates as the chef's work of art.  It's the same as a painting  is to an artist.  It's a person's creative outlet using food to make something beautiful and delicious, so when you disrupt someone's work by asking to remove a certain ingredient, to me it's like telling them to their face, "I don't like your art."  I understand people have different tastes, but when I go out to eat, I put my trust in the chef because I have never been to culinary school, and I think they probably know a whole lot more about flavors than I do.  Eating out to me is about taking chances and trying new things.  I may not like everything, but how will you know if you don't try?  One of my favorite feelings is when you try something new on the menu and are a little timid until your taste buds go into shock at how delicious the first bite is.  Why would I waste my money at a nice restaurant if I just ate food I would buy and cook myself?  I'm just saying, next time you go out to eat maybe just have faith in your chef and let him lead you to something that may be quite wondrous on your palette. 



No comments:

Post a Comment