Sunday, July 31, 2011

Holy Guacamole!

One of the many things I love about this great city of Atl is the fact that there are so many different areas of the city. You can travel 5 minutes and be in a totally different culture from where you came from.  East Atlanta is one of those neighborhoods that has grown vastly over the past few years and a place that I have come to love for its food and especially its nightlife!  Let me just say Graveyard will take you in and spit you out and leave you wondering the next day what the hell happened the night before, but you somehow know you had a great time.  Sorry, I just had to share my thoughts on Graveyard because I love that place.  Anyway, we did not make it to Graveyard last weekend, but my friends and I did travel to the Eastside to engorge ourselves in some tacos at the taqueria that focuses on using sustainable ingredients, Holy Taco.






We sat outside on the huge patio because it was a cool summer night, and we started off with the guacamole which was so fresh and the chunks of avocado were insane!  Not only was the guac delicious, but the chips were super thick that when you got one stuck in the guac because you were being too greedy (you know what I'm talkin about) not only did it not break, but you came up with a big freakin piece of avocado!  My fav! So of course, like all mexican dinners, I ate so many chips and guac I was practically full before the tacos even arrived, but that did NOT stop me.



I ordered the skirt steak taco with cotija cheese and the fish taco with swordfish, slaw, and chipotle aioli. One of my favorite past times when going out to eat is looking up the restaurant's menu and "deciding" what I will order.  I use quotes because I am so indecisive that I rarely actually decide what I will eat beforehand.  I usually want everything on the menu and make a last minute decision with the waiter standing over me.  So the point of this aside?  I of course looked at the menu beforehand and was rather disappointed that the fish taco consisted of tilapia, but when we got the little paper menus in our hands at the restaurant, low and behold they had swordfish instead!




I really like how they cooked the tortillas.  It seemed they pan fried them which made the tortillas warm and somewhat crispy so they weren't so soft and mushy.  The steak was perfectly marinaded and so juicy.  I think the flavors and spiciness on the steak taco beat out the fish taco; however, the fish definitely stood on its own flavor-wise.  The aioli was perfectly spicy and I just love slaw on tacos.  The breading was great on the fish and it wasn't too heavy or overly fried which I hate when it comes to fried food.  All in all it was a great meal with a yummy margarita (you really think I got tacos and did not order a marg?  You should know better by now) on a great summer night with good people.  My advice: go to East Atl if you have not ventured out there yet.   You will definitely not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment