Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Summertime Soup

In order to save some money, I typically bring my lunch to work, but it's just not in me to bring a little turkey sandwich everyday.  Thus, usually, if I'm not watching my DVRed shows I missed during the week or hungover, I spend my Sundays looking up recipes to cook for my lunch during the week.  This week I chose a nice sweet corn summer soup (Like that alliteration?! It's that private school education my friends!).



Soups are so great because they are easy to make and takes only one pour into a tupperware bowl in the mornings to fix lunch for the day, which is great for me as I always have trouble getting to work on time in the mornings.  Getting ready is just so complicated sometimes!  Guys have it so easy.  "Hmm, what color button up shirt should I wear today?" Sorry, I digress.

Back to the soup!  Here is the recipe:


  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 of a red onion (yellow works too- I just prefer red in everything)
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups chopped cooked ham
  • 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
  • (15-ounce) cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
  • (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chilies, undrained
2 teaspoons of cumin

I tend to find recipes and then change them up a little, so feel free to do the same!  I originally found this recipe on Cookinglight.com, but then I added the cumin and red onion to give it some more spice!   


Start off by dicing the ham and onion.  You can find pre-cooked, thick ham in the meat section at the grocery store, which is what I recommend purchasing for this recipe.  Also, I love me some red onion and use it in almost every recipe I cook, but if that is not your preference, feel free to use yellow or even green onion which is what the original recipe called for.  Once you have your 1/2 onion cut, throw it into a dutch oven with your oil that has already been heating on the stove top.  Another reason why I love soups is because I can usually cook everything in one pot.  I HATE cleaning the kitchen, so it is a huge plus for me!  After a couple minutes, you can toss in your ham.  Since the ham is already cooked, you just want to make the meat brown for added taste (about 5 minutes).




Now, add your green chilies, cumin, salt, and pepper and cook for a minute or two just to let all the flavors marinate.  Make sure you don't add too much salt because the ham and chicken broth already contain a lot.  Just add to taste.  I like things pretty salty, which is why I added more.  Add your chicken broth, beans, and corn and let the soup simmer for about 30 minutes.




One thing I want to add about the corn.  Don't be embarrassed if you see "fresh corn kernels" in the recipe and you say to yourself, "for real Ms. Frugal foodie?!"  Go by the freezer section and just get you a bag of frozen corn.  That's what I do, and while fresh corn is probably better, my frugal booty is not buyin and cookin 5 ears of corn for this damn soup.  However, do NOT buy canned corn.  It does not taste the same, and I will be very offended if you buy canned.  Other than that, happy cooking and I hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment