Sunday, July 10, 2011

Atlanta Street Food

I recently went to the Midsummer Music Festival at Candler Park where they lined up the food trucks of Atlanta to feed the drunk and hungry.  It was like Christmas morning for me!  I freaking love food trucks!  The food is quick, cheap, and delicious.  What more can you ask for?!




























As you probably have noticed, food trucks have become a new fad born out of California and making its way across the country to Atlanta.  Some people may not like the idea of eating food that was made inside a truck.  They might think it can't be as clean as a kitchen or that there's no way the food can be tasty and exciting.  Well I can tell you this. Some of the best BBQ I have had has come from a little shack at the Greenville exit off of I-65.  Every time my family went to visit my grandparents in Mobile, Alabama, we would stop at this gas station which had a BBQ stand attached to it.  At first you think it was abandoned, but then you see a line of people waiting to order at the tiny window where the little old country woman takes your order.  I would get a huge pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw and baked beans, and we would eat in the car with our dogs going crazy for our food.  Good times, good times.  OK, back to my point...after eating at this place for years as a child, I have always had the opinion that little rundown places can be some of the best food.  They may look dirty as hell, but as long as the food pleases my taste buds and I don't find a cockroach on my plate, I honestly don't care.  While food trucks aren't necessarily shacks on the side of the road, they are little engines that could.  They are a chance to get something different and affordable while gathering with other food lovers.





Take the Pup Truck for example.  They specialize in making fancy dogs and different kinds of fixins.  Now I may have been a couple of beers in at this time, so this was somewhat of an impulse buy, but I have to say the Dalmatian Dog was a little delight in my mouth.  I usually just douse my dogs in ketchup, but with the black beans, onions, and sour cream, nothing else was needed.

One thing I love about Atlanta is the metropolitan feel the Midtown area exudes.  My office is also located downtown; however, I've noticed there are not many places around to eat cheap and quick, which is why I believe street food would do wonders in this ever growing city.  In order to advocate for all street food alike in Atl, a group was formed called the Atlanta Street Food Coalition.  Their main goal is to see to it that we get to enjoy fast and affordable food other metropolitan cities have had for years, like New York and Philly.  Atlanta ordinances have banned street food for now due to health concerns, but advocates are still trying to convince otherwise.  Even the food trucks are limited to where they can park.  In my opinion food trucks and street food are just another way to experience food and be with friends.  I mean, my job is to sit at a computer for 9 hours every day looking at excel spreadsheets, so if I can take 30 minutes out of my day to walk down the street and get me a mighty fine hot dog, I say, "Amen, sister friend!"

No comments:

Post a Comment