Saturday, July 9, 2011

Serpas, Oh How I Love Thee!

Now if you have yet to wonder down to Auburn Avenue and indulged yourself in the "True Food" at Serpas, you need to read this and go make yourself a reservation on Opentable.com and get your 100 points because the place is simply divine!  They have already been named one of the Top 10 Restaurants by GQ Magazine and the executive chef, Scott Serpas, who has shown his strength as executive chef at TWO Urban Licks, keeps the menu seasonal and true to his southern American style.  The restaurant sits in the midst of the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood and the building, which was built in the early 1900's, used to be a cotton storage factory.  One of the things I love most about the place is how Serpas kept that old, rustic feel of the warehouse with the brick walls and accented with the brushed metal chairs.  

This was my second time visiting Serpas and because I am still in my mid 20's and want to live it up before I am old and decrepit, I had plans to partake in a gathering of friends and hefty libations in East Atlanta later, so my friend and I ended up ordering apps and zerts only (props to you if you got that Parks and Recreation reference).  




We started off with the shaved calamari dribbled with a chili syrup, and I must say it was some damn good calamari.  Now I love a good marinara dip, but I think my favorite way to have this fried scrumptious squid is with a spicy sauce such as this.  It was sweet and spicy at the same time, and yet the batter was still crisp and delicious!  One thing I can guarantee you is if there is calamari or fried green tomatoes on the menu, I will order it and devour it (probably even if it isn't that great).  Which leads me to our next appetizer!




The Fried Green Tomato!! And yes, it is THAT important to deserve capitalized letters.  Now I have to say some of the best fried green tomatoes I have had are from South City Kitchen.  And while these did not woo me like those of SCK, they still gave my tastes buds a little excitement.  These little buggers came topped with a crab salad and avocado, which was good but I didn't see how the avocado really related.  As my fellow diner was not prone to the veggie I simply ate it by itself without the tomatoes.  When it comes to the crust, I like a thin layer so I can still taste the sweetness of the tomatoes.  I felt the crust on these were a little thick for my taste, but all in all, a good experience. 




Then we came to the crispy duck rolls.  Now this was the best by far! These rolls came with a flaky, delicate crust on the outside with spicy chili sauce to dip in.  I just cannot say enough about them.  They were delish!!

For dessert I had the beignets.  Now let me just tell you.  I had a deal for Serpas that I needed to use, which is why we went, but I had made the reservation about 5 days in advance.  I think I thought about that dessert every single day until I stuffed those things in my mouth!  And they don't give you one or two, but they give you three huge beignets with a delicious caramel sauce.  Needless to say I downed every little bit of those french donuts into my already stuffed stomach.  If only you could get those by the dozen!   



Serpas is definitely one of my favorite restaurants in Atlanta.  I love the neighborhood, atmosphere, and of course the food is always fantastic!  



No comments:

Post a Comment